Jumbo film fun (Print 1960 ELEPHANT CINEMA)
For size information please see our Print Product Guide.
JUDITH Bowers, in Glasgow’s Lost Theatre, her book about the Britannia Music Hall, tells a story about the great showman A.E. Pickard and his White Elephant cinema, in Shawlands, which he opened in 1927. He advertised dinner and a fur coat, free with admission, to the first 2,000 patrons. Eager for such a bargain, women stood in a forbiddingly lengthy queue. And what did they see when they got to the front? Pickard and his cinema manager, handing out rabbits. A contemporary report said the White Elephant was the first cinema in the world to have, in its balcony seating, layers of fine rubber atop shock absorbers, rather than springs, underneath the velvet.
When it was converted to shops after closure in 1960, the facade was refaced and slightly cut down.
Please note that framed prints are only available for pick up from The Herald offices: 200 Renfield Street, Glasgow G2 3QB.
UK Delivery is available on our ready-to-frame mounted prints, which are designed to fit standard frame sizes.
Please see our Shipping and Collection page for information about our available services.
If you are interested in purchasing one of our products but live outside of the UK please get in touch.
The Herald Picture Store is proud to present these images in their actual condition. We haven't manipulated these photographs and are proud of their character.
Please be aware that due to their age some images may show imperfections. This is as a result of the technology available at the time they were captured and/or scanned and saved for our records.