End of the line (Print 2156514)
For size information please see our Print Product Guide.
This picture will leave many Glaswegians scratching their heads.
Buchanan Street, in Cowcaddens, was the least known of the city's four main railway stations, the other three being Central, Queen Street and St Enoch. It lay to the north-west of Queen Street Station and served the north of Scotland.
Constructed in 1849 by the Caledonian Railway Company as its main terminus for the city. This, the original station buildings consisted of supposedly temporary wooden structures, lasted until the 1930s. A goods station at the site opened in 1850. Services ran primarily northbound, to Aberdeen, Perth, Stirling and other destinations.
Although earmarked for demolition in the 1945 Bruce Report, the station survived until 1966, when its services were diverted to Queen Street. The station was demolished the following year. Today, Buchanan House (named 'ScotRail House' between January 1985 and April 1994) and Glasgow Caledonian University occupy the site of the station.
The 430 yard Buchanan Street tunnel that ran from just outwith the station to Sighthill still exists, but public access is prohibited.
The only reminder of the old terminus is the nearby Station Bar.
Please note that framed prints are only available for pick up from The Herald offices: 200 Renfield Street, Glasgow G2 3QB.
UK Delivery is available on our ready-to-frame mounted prints, which are designed to fit standard frame sizes.
Please see our Shipping and Collection page for information about our available services.
If you are interested in purchasing one of our products but live outside of the UK please get in touch.
The Herald Picture Store is proud to present these images in their actual condition. We haven't manipulated these photographs and are proud of their character.
Please be aware that due to their age some images may show imperfections. This is as a result of the technology available at the time they were captured and/or scanned and saved for our records.