Crown Street, in the Gorbals, seen here in the 1920s, seems an unlikely location for one of Glasgow's oldest and most prestigious private schools, but this was where Hutchesons' Boys Grammar School was sited for over 100 years.
Founded by the brothers George and Thomas Hutcheson in 1641, the first school, in the Trongate, was opened originally to educate orphans, starting with "twelve male children, indigent orphans". The same brothers were the moving force behind the creation and laying out of Hutchesontown,
The school required several moves to accommodate its growing number of pupils. It twice changed address before the school moved to Ingram Street in 1802. By 1815 the school had 76 pupils. By 1839 it stood at 120 which prompted the patrons' decision to build a new school in Crown Street. The building was opened in 1841 and remained in use until 1960, when all the pupils moved to a new school, at Beaton Road, in Crossmyloof.
Please note that framed prints are only available for pick up from The Herald offices: 200 Renfield Street, Glasgow G2 3QB.
UK Delivery is available on our ready-to-frame mounted prints, which are designed to fit standard frame sizes.