It was the end of one industrial era and the coming of the car age that saw the end on the Monkland Canal. Built between 1771 and 1794, the idea of famed inventor James Watt, the canal was designed to bring Lanarkshire coal to the furnaces and hearths of Glasgow.
Sadly, with the coming of the railways, it soon fell out of favour.
By 1965, when this picture was taken, the Townhead stretch of the canal was already being filled in to create space for the new M8 (Monkland) motorway.
Please note that framed prints are only available for pick up from The Herald offices: 200 Renfield Street, Glasgow G2 3QB.
UK Delivery is available on our ready-to-frame mounted prints, which are designed to fit standard frame sizes.