This fine Georgian building, built circa 1800, to be the offices of the Forth and Clyde Canal, had seen better days in 1988, as had its next door City of Glasgow Grain Mills and Stores, built for John Currie & Co. in 1851.
Spiers Wharf, at Port Dundas, was established at One Hundred Acre Hill between 1786 and 1790 and was named after Sir Lawrence Dundas, one of the major backers of the Forth and Clyde Canal Co. Port Dundas formed the terminus of a branch of the Forth and Clyde, linking to the adjacent Monkland Canal. It became an industrial centre in the 19th century, with textile mills, chemical works, granaries, distilleries, glassworks, iron foundries, power stations and engineering works all operating in the area.
Luckily, within a year of this photograph being taken, the old grain mill had been converted into apartments, and the office block restored to its Georgian splendour.
Please note that framed prints are only available for pick up from The Herald offices: 200 Renfield Street, Glasgow G2 3QB.
UK Delivery is available on our ready-to-frame mounted prints, which are designed to fit standard frame sizes.