It's a rare dry day at Glasgow's 1938 Empire Exhibition - it was one of the wettest summers on record - and visitors are making the most up; walking up the sides of the Central Cascade waterfall to visit the Art Deco Tait's Tower.
Designed by architect Thomas S Tait, its official name was 'The Tower of Empire'. Built in just nine weeks, it stood 300 feet (91 metres) tall and had three separate observation decks which provided a view of the surrounding Exhibition and city. Due to both the height of the tower and the hill it was built on, it could be seen 100 miles (160 km) away.
Although it was to have been a permanent monument to the exhibition, orders were given to demolish the tower in July 1939, following concerns it would act as a marker for approaching German bombers in the coming war.
Please note that framed prints are only available for pick up from The Herald offices: 200 Renfield Street, Glasgow G2 3QB.
UK Delivery is available on our ready-to-frame mounted prints, which are designed to fit standard frame sizes.