These men, handling molten metal at Falkirk's Carron Iron Works, were carrying on a trade that had begun in 1759.
Situated on the banks of the River Carron, the company was at the forefront of the Industrial Revolution in the UK. The company prospered through its development and production of a new short-range and short-barrelled naval canon, the 'Carronade', which helped Britannia rule the waves.
The company was one of the largest iron works in Europe through the 19th century. After 223 years, the company became insolvent in 1982 and was later acquired by the Franke Corporation, being rebranded Carron Phoenix.
Today, the guns have fallen silent, and the company produces stainless steel, ceramic and granite moulded sinks.
Please note that framed prints are only available for pick up from The Herald offices: 200 Renfield Street, Glasgow G2 3QB.
UK Delivery is available on our ready-to-frame mounted prints, which are designed to fit standard frame sizes.