The Old Athenaeum, in St George's Place, was still the home of the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama when this picture was taken in 1960.
The Glasgow Athenaeum, an educational institute for working men, had been established in 1847, in the city's former Assembly Rooms, in Ingram Street, but moved when that building was demolished to make way for an extension to the city's central Post Office.
This building, designed by John Burnet senior, was built in 1887, to be home to the Athenaeum`s School of Music.
When the RSAMD moved to new premises on Renfrew Street, this building was given over to office use. Both the RSAMD and St George's Place have undergone name changes; one to the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, the other to Nelson Mandela Place (to mark the fact that the former South African Consulate once occupied offices on the south side of the square).
Please note that framed prints are only available for pick up from The Herald offices: 200 Renfield Street, Glasgow G2 3QB.
UK Delivery is available on our ready-to-frame mounted prints, which are designed to fit standard frame sizes.