It's August 1949, and these visiting Canadian Air Cadets are getting the guided at Edinburgh Castle. And, then as now, Mons Meg was the star of the show.
The mighty siege gun was built in 1449, in Mons, in modern day Belgium, on the orders of Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy and sent by him as a gift to James II, King of Scots in 1454. The bombard was employed in sieges until the middle of the 16th century, after which it was only fired on ceremonial occasions.
Please note that framed prints are only available for pick up from The Herald offices: 200 Renfield Street, Glasgow G2 3QB.
UK Delivery is available on our ready-to-frame mounted prints, which are designed to fit standard frame sizes.